General Education Waiver
ECU’s General Education Program requires 40 hours in 7 Competency Areas. This requirement exists for all undergraduates, regardless of chosen major.
Students who transfer to ECU, specifically from a North Carolina Community College with an Associate in Arts , an Associate in Science, an Associate in Arts Teacher Preparation, or Associate in Science Teacher Preparation may request a review of their credits for a General Education Waiver.
To be considered for a waiver, NCCCS students must have
- graduated with their A.A. or A.S. (or A.A.T.P. or A.S.T.P.)
- submitted a final, official transcript on file from the community college where they graduated
The General Education Waiver does not
- waive the Writing Intensive requirement (including ENGL 1100 and 2201)
- waive the Domestic and Global Diversity requirements
- waive the Health-Promotion and Health-Related Physical Activity requirements
- waive any Cognate, prerequisite, or major specific course requirement
- apply for other community college degrees other than the A.A. or A.S.
Transfer students may be granted a GE Waiver but not awarded transfer credit for courses below a “C” if those courses are needed for a cognate, prerequisite, or major specific requirement.
Students who complete an A.A.S., A.E., A.F.A., A.G.E, or other community college degree do not qualify for a General Education waiver under the CAA.
However, should you believe you have completed necessary requirements within those degrees for a GE waiver, please feel free to fill out the online form as well!
To request a General Education Waiver, click the link below.